Former Provincial Park of Culture and Rest is one of the largest urban parks in Europe, covering an area of over 620 hectares. Green lungs of Upper Silesia is also a space full of culture that attracts the inhabitants of the whole agglomeration. Construction began in July 1951 year. The area included investments in 75% of the devastated industrial areas: the heap, post-mining waste, old coal pits, landslides, swamps and landfills, and agricultural waste land in the territory of Poland Chorzów and Katowice. The central part of the park has been designed so as the area of a forest, a dense network of roads, alleys and pedestrian routes with foster tranquility, relaxation passive and active recreation. The remaining part of the park, approx. 13 ha, is designed as sites of cultural and recreation and relaxation areas conducive to active principle, where they would be built additional attractions and festivals to be organized. In the 50s and 60s in the park was carried out further investments Stadium, Silesian Zoological Garden, Funfair, Planetarium. In 1957 he ran for more than 5 km long narrow gauge railway route, and in 1967 the cableway "Elka". Stand of trees the park, thanks to careful planning, rich in species richness of trees. Many species have unusual shapes of leaves, fruits and flowers interesting and unusual habits crowns. In the case of fauna, the area of the park can be seen approx. 70 species of birds and many mammals, of which the largest sądziki, deer, foxes and hares. The special places associated with the park need flora include, among others Rosarium, which is the largest of its kind in Poland garden. The site has more than 35 000 rose nearly 300 varieties. Currently Silesian Park lies entirely within the administrative boundaries of Chorzów. However, does not belong to any of the districts, which emphasizes its regional character.
Places of interest