Powazki Cemetery is located in the district of Wola in Warsaw, Powązkowska 1. It is considered the oldest cemetery in the whole city, and this subject is strictly protected under conservation, because of the extremely ancient tombs and buildings. The cemetery was founded in 1790, and in 1972 there was built a beautiful church. Charles Borromeo. On one wall of the church bears a memorial to those murdered in Katyn - chalkboard with the words "Fallen and Murdered in the East", was designed by Jadwiga Zienkiewiczową. At the cemetery gate leads historic St. Honorata. Within the Powazki there are also catacombs, where after 1945 created a mausoleum with the ashes of people murdered in concentration camps. At the cemetery are buried many famous Poles who died during the various national uprisings, people working for the independence of the country and famous writers, poets, thinkers and artists. Some of them buried in the Alley of Merit, which was established in 1925. The whole cemetery is today 43 hectares.